The Role: Copywriter
The Facts: The Johnson Group helps brands slay the giants that stand in the way of their success by blending fresh ideas with proprietary direct response tools to forge deeper brand connections and more profitable conversions. We provide full-funnel marketing and advertising from brand positioning, research, data science and full-stack development to video/photo content, and strategy and creative.
The Gist: If you are looking for a team instead of a holding company and you dream about the perfect blend of collaboration and autonomy, keep reading. The Johnson Group is a place where every person is truly a part of building what the future of the agency looks like. Everyone is empowered to Dig for Big. This means we are looking for big skills, big outside-the-box thinking, and big passion.
The Summary: As a copywriter, you will concept, present, write and help produce work in every conceivable advertising media (including some you may help invent). You will partner with an Art Director and work closely with Creative Directors, Project Managers, and Account executives to immerse yourself in brands in a variety of categories, from consumer packaged goods and fast food to healthcare, banking, trucking/logistics, and education. You’ll write copy and tell brand stories that are concise and compelling, with additional opportunities to stretch out in some longer copy formats. And you’ll do it all among a group of people we believe are the most fun folks in the ad business (if we do say so ourselves).
- Concept breakthrough creative ideas across all media
- Write clear and concise headlines, copy and scripts that tell a brand’s story and get results
- Devour creative briefs and other background info, asking thought-provoking questions that help arrive at a deeper understanding or unique insight
- Partner with an art director to “own” each project from concept through execution
- Present your work with confidence internally and to clients
- A love of advertising
- 5-plus years experience as a writer and conceptual thinker
- A solid foundation in traditional media, but with an overarching digital and video mindset
- The ability to mine for insights that inform great concepts
- Experience with audio and video production—collaborating on-set, directing voice talent, etc.
- And, of course, solid persuasive writing skills and a passion for writing short copy, long copy, and everything in between
- Optional hybrid work environment for locals in our beautifully renovated downtown office (with paid parking) OR remote work environment for non-locals
- 100% employer paid health, dental, and vision insurance for employee AND two family members. (Oh yes, you read that right. 100%. Employer. Paid.)
- 401k with company match
- PTO, sick days, and paid holidays
- Wellness stipend
- Professional development opportunities
- Company-wide social events like an annual lake day, team specific retreats, and more
- Summer Fridays
The Awards: The Johnson Group has been nationally recognized by the major industry awards and publications including Adweek, Ad Age, Communication Arts, Archive, ONE SHOW, EFFIES, ADDYS, and OBIES.